DO SEE OUR NEW WEB SITE
Greg Lance – Watkins
SÃO PAULO, BRAZIL – Major cities in Brazil came to a standstill on Friday as hundreds of people took to the streets to protest against government reforms while many others stayed home in what is being called the largest nationwide general strike in decades.
In many cities public transportation workers, teachers and industry workers stayed home.
Entire public school systems were closed and in the country’s largest city, São Paulo, those who attempted to go to work looked for alternative means of transportation, due to the lack of buses, metro and train services.
The nationwide strike was called by Brazil’s largest workers’ unions, which claim that the social security and labor reforms, currently being discussed in Congress, will lead to a loss of workers’ rights. According to organizers more than 40 million workers adhered to the strike on Friday.
In addition to the millions who stayed home, thousands took to the streets to protest against the reforms. According to union leaders more than 1.5 million demonstrators gathered in protests. Numbers released by police officials put the number of demonstrators at 97,000.
The two largest union federations, CUT and Força Sindical, considered the strike a success. Congressional Representative Paulo Pereira da Silva, President of Força Sindical said that workers decided to strike because there are viable proposals for the country to resume economic growth without the loss of any labor, social security and social rights’.
The federal government however, downplayed the strike, with officials stating that the demonstrations were restricted to the large centers. According to officials the low number of protesters on Friday indicates that the majority of the population supports the reforms proposed by the Temer Administration.
“We expected very significant demonstrations, and those did not occur,” said Minister of Justice Osmar Serraglio on Friday night to reporters.
For the Minister the small groups demonstrating shows that the population as a whole supports the government’s proposed reforms.
“There is no way to think of the solution to the country without the reforms. Responsible people know that [reforms] are necessary,” concluded the official.
Although in most cities the demonstrations ended peacefully, violence erupted at the end of the protests in Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo, with clashes between protesters and police.
In Rio de Janeiro, protesters torched nine buses, while in São Paulo the neighborhood where President Temer has his private residence turned into a battlefield with police firing tear gas into a crowd of protesters.
There were no official accounts of deaths during Friday’s confrontation, although local media did report some protesters suffered serious injuries in clashes with police.
tel: 44 (0)1594 – 528 337
Calls from ‘Number Withheld’ phones Are Blocked
All unanswered messages are recorded.
Leave your name & a UK land line number & I will return your call.
‘e’Mail Address: Greg_L-W@BTconnect.com
ABOUT ME, Details & Links: CLICK HERE
Accuracy & Copyright Statement: CLICK HERE
UKIP Its ASSOCIATES & DETAILS: CLICK HERE
Summary & archive, facts & comments on Ukip: http://Ukip-vs-EUkip.com
General ‘Stuff’: http://GL-W.com
Leave-The-EU Referendum & BreXit Process CLICK HERE
Documents, Essays & Treaties: CLICK HERE
The Hamlet of Stroat: CLICK HERE
Data & The Study of a Wind Turbine Application: CLICK HERE
Health Blog.: CLICK HERE
Chepstow Chat: CLICK HERE
Christopher Story: CLICK HERE
Des Watkins DFC; CdeG: CLICK HERE/
Hollie Greig etc.: CLICK HERE
Psycheocracy: CLICK HERE
The McCann Case: CLICK HERE
The Speculative Society of Edinburgh: CLICK HERE
Stolen Kids, Dunblane: CLICK HERE
Stolen Kids, Bloggers: CLICK HERE
Views I respect & almost Totally Share: CLICK HERE
A Concept of Governance Worthy of Developement: CLICK HERE
- I NEVER post anonymously on the internet
- ALL MY BLOGS & WEB SITES are clearly sourced to me
- I do NOT use an obfuscated eMail address to hide behind
- I do NOT use or bother reading FaceBook
- I DO have a Voice Mail Message System
- I ONLY GUARANTEE to answer identifiable eMails
- I ONLY GUARANTEE to phone back identifiable UK Land Line Messages
- I do NOT accept phone calls from witheld numbers
- I Regret due to BT in this area I have a rubbish Broadband connection
- I AM opposed to British membership of The EU
- I AM opposed to Welsh, Scottish or English Independence within an interdependent UK
- I am NOT a WARMIST
- I do NOT believe the IPCC Climate Propaganda re Anthropogenic Global Warming
- I AM strongly opposed to the subsidy or use of failed technologies eg. WIND TURBINES
- I AM IN FAVOUR of rapid research & development of NEW NUCLEAR technologies
- I see no evidence to trust POLITICIANS at any level or of any persuasion
- I do NOT believe in GODS singular or plural, Bronze Age or Modern
- I value the NHS as a HEALTH SERVICE NOT a Lifestyle support
- I believe in a DEATH PENALTY for serial or GBH rape.
- I believe in a DEATH PENALTY for serial, terrorist, mass or for pleasure murder.
- I believe in a DEATH PENALTY for serial gross child abuse including sexual.
- I do NOT trust or believe in armed police
- I do NOT believe in prolonging human life beyond reasonable expectation of sentient participatory intellectual existence
- I believe in EUTHENASIA under clearly defined & legal terms
- I try to make every effort to NOT infringe copyrights in any commercial way & make all corrections of fact brought to my attention by an identifiable individual
Please Be Sure To
Re-TWEET my Twitterings